Tuesday, May 24, 2022

"Inspired To Be..."

Sacramento-based Crystel Patterson (crystelpatterson.com), one of the featured authors at the recent Chocolate Festival in Paradise, was drawn by the story of rebuilding and resilience.

That same spirit is evident in her three self-published children's books, each beautifully illustrated by Briana Young and available in Amazon Kindle format, "inspired by the culture, experiences, and dreams of Black people with the goal of inspiring all children." 

The first in the "Inspired To Be..." series, "One Flip, Two Flip, Three Flip, Four" ($9.01 in paperback) tells the story of Ruby, inspired, Patterson writes, "by Gabby Douglas, a gymnast who became the first African American to win the individual all-around event at the 2012 Summer Olympics when she was 16 years old."

Ruby's energy leads to "flipping all around the house/ landing light as a mouse." Gymnastics lessons bring "cartwheels, handstands, tucks and pikes" and eventually a gold medal. "She knew it in her heart./ Her dreams would true true.../ Now, what about you?"

The second book, "I Am Different" ($13.58 paperback), is "dedicated to all the children who look and feel different. I hope you already love or will learn to love everything that makes you stand out ... despite the mixed reactions." The story is about Malachi, Nia, and Ekon, three children who endure stinging words about their skin color, name, or hair. 

"My hair is different, this I know. My hair is different, and it shows./ So mixed reactions I receive, I wonder who I should believe." The answer? "I believe those who matter to me/ My family and friends who uplift me./ They always see the best in me/ Which is what I see when I look at me!" (A glossary of the some of the key words used in the book are intended to spur family discussion about race.)

In "Superheroes Here And There" ($8.25 in paperback), inspired by the late actor Chadwick Boseman, young James asks his parents if superheroes are real. Well, "they can't walk through solid walls, that's for sure." But they "remove obstacles to help us soar.... Like your mom or dad, a teacher or friend.../ Whose powers aren't super, but human instead."

We could use more humanity.